Preconception Massage Therapy
Before becoming pregnant, it is important to build a strong foundation. This begins in the reproductive organs. With the use of visceral manipulation (massaging of the organs), we can improve blood flow and reduce adhesions in the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and surrounding structures.
How massage therapy can benefit you before you conceive:
- Ovarian Health: The ovaries are a site of hormone production - hormones that are vital for a healthy reproductive cycle. When we improve circulation to the ovaries through massage, we encourage optimal functioning, including hormone production. The ovaries also house, mature, and produce eggs. Better circulation means more nutrients reaching your eggs, which means healthier eggs!
- Uterine Health: Sometimes the uterus can be tilted, shifted, or stuck to surrounding structures. When this happens, blood flow may be inhibited, and chances of a strong and healthy implantation can be lower. Gentle manipulation of the uterus through massage can help realign it. Improved circulation and optimal positioning of the uterus also contributes to a healthier endometrial lining (built up every month after the end of each period), and a more complete shedding of the lining during your period. The uterus is going to be home for your little one for 9 whole months, we want it to be in tip-top shape!
- Easier Periods: Have you ever wondered what causes menstrual cramps? Hormone imbalances, endometriosis, scar tissue, and mis-positioned organs can all contribute to painful periods (among other causes). Massage therapy can help balance hormones (see Ovarian Health above), reduce inflammation associated with endometriosis, break down scar tissue, and encourage the uterus to sit the way it should.
- Surrounding Structures: The muscles of the abdomen, low back, and hips all contribute to the health of the internal organs. When there is excessive tension in any of these muscles, circulation to the organs can become compromised. This is why massage of these muscles is always incorporated into preconception massages.
- Relaxation: Stress is a major roadblock in many pregnancy journeys. I believe every massage, no matter how therapeutic it is, should always be relaxing. Letting go of stress helps improve muscle tone in the whole body, and encourages healthier hormone production. It also helps us have a happier and more peaceful state of mind, which is important for a healthy conception.
Mercier Therapy is a protocol developed by naturopath and midwife Jennifer Mercier. It is a sequence of techniques designed to encourage optimal placement of the reproductive organs, enhance circulation, and bring overall balance to the reproductive system. Here's how:
Organs can't work without blood flow. Fresh blood coming into an organ carries oxygen and nutrients needed for proper function and optimal health, circulation then carries out waste and toxins. Without this constant moving and filtering of blood, organs and other body structures would eventually suffer, and functions would be inhibited. It's no different with the female reproductive system.
If any of the vital organs of reproduction aren't getting sufficient blood flow, they won't be able to work properly. In the same way that we massage muscles to restore circulation and break down adhesions, we can massage the reproductive organs to restore blood flow, and encourage optimal functioning to promote a healthy conception and successful pregnancy.
This amazing therapy has helped thousands of women realize their dream of becoming a mother through specific visceral manipulation of the reproductive organs and one-on-one fertility support. Mercier therapy is one of the most effective and impressive methods for preparing the body for pregnancy.
How I Incorporate Mercier Therapy -
Every body is unique. In all my years working as an RMT I have never come across 2 people who have the exact same situation in terms of muscle tension, fascial adhesions, organ placement, flexibility, circulation.. etc. This is why I love my job, it's always different and I never really know what I'm going to find until I get in there. For this reason, no two massages are ever the same. I have taken what I learned in my Mercier Therapy training, and combined it with what I know from my massage therapy knowledge and other courses on visceral manipulation. I choose to be less strict with the specific Mercier protocol and work it into each massage as necessary. This gives my patients a very thorough and individualized treatment approach.
Please note: if you are looking to book a treatment for preconception and mercier therapy, just book a regular massage therapy appointment with me (1 hour is recommended for first visits).
Find out more about Mercier Therapy here.